Homemade cauliflower Gnocchi, simple, healthy and only a handful of ingredients.
I’m not going to lie, this isn’t a recipe for when you are stuck for time as it takes quite a bit of preparation. Across Youtube I kept hearing everyone rave about the cauliflower Gnocchi at Trader Joe’s and over here in the Uk I haven’t been able to find anything similar so I wanted to set myself a challenge and give them a go. And I actually surprised myself when they came out ok the first time around, and with a few simple tweaks after that I now have a recipe I am happy to share with you guys.
All ingredients are completely natural, vegan and gluten free, and don’t get me started on the creamy “cheesy” sauce (mouth is drooling just thinking about it)
My first attempt at these cauliflower Gnocchi’s I didn’t place them in the oven, and I didn’t find appetizing the consistency they gave when they popped out of the pot of boiling water, adding these in the oven to crisp up, was an absolute game changer.
- 3 cups cauliflower roughly chopped
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 2 tbsp of nutritional yeast
- 3/4 cup plant milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- Turn your oven on to 200°C
- Steam your cauliflower over a medium pot of boiling water. Cover and steam for approximately 10 minutes./
- Remove the cauliflower and squeeze any excess water with a clean tea towel. For the next step I would recommend using a food processor, as my favourite go to Nutribullet struggled with it.
- Add cauliflower to a food processor, and incorporate the brown rice flour, salt and olive oil until it forms a dough. Add more flour if you don’t reach the correct consistency.
- Knead your dough and shape into four equal balls.
- Roll your dough balls into tubes, and cut into gnocchi size pieces.
- Place gnocchi in a pot of boiling water. Once they float to the surface remove from the pan and place on a lined baking sheet. Bake for approximately 20 minutes.
- Then simply stir fry some vegetables of your choosing, wilt some spinach, add gnocchi and the sauce and voilá!